GrammarBlog

Wednesday 6 August 2008

Think twice before "filling" your tank

img src="http://www.grammarblog.co.uk/z_images/banners/v2launch.gif" border="0" title="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" alt="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" />
It's not just the astronomical oh-my-God-let's-get-hysterical-about-this-good-and-proper fuel prices that are vexing drivers on our petrol station forecourts at the moment. There is a far greater menace to be found in the form of these "unnecessary quotation marks" I discovered at a Texaco garage, just prior to emptying the contents of my wallet and handing over my car in order to meet the cost of this transaction.



Update: Some of those more skilled in identifying the lowest form of wit than I am have pointed out that I have been slightly hasty and, more crucially, incorrect in denouncing quotation mark use on this occasion. I hereby apologise to the petrol station employee who labelled the pump, even though they still sound like a right tosser.
8 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my biggest pet peeves.

6 August 2008 at 19:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the quotation marks may be there for a reason. Does "moving" not refer to the excuse some people might use for trying to drive off without paying?
For example, "I was just moving it and was going to pay afterwards. Honest."

7 August 2008 at 14:25  
Blogger Gez said...

Yeah, I thought that as well. There is a hint of sarcasm.

7 August 2008 at 15:45  
Blogger Paddy said...

That never even occurred to me. Is the suggestion here that a pedant has got so carried away with looking out for errors that he has performed some great irreconcilable grammar gaffe?

I'm not having it.

Giving petrol station attendants the benefit of the doubt is a dangerous precedent to set.

7 August 2008 at 19:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it refers to the "accidental" moving of cars; people are stealing petrol more and more often these days.

8 August 2008 at 14:51  
Blogger Mantolwen said...

I'm so glad I don't drive. Petrol is soooo expensive.

9 August 2008 at 14:25  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also read it as sarcasm from the gas station, so this one might actually be correct.

11 August 2008 at 15:00  
Blogger Unknown said...

At least not the following:

Please pay your fuel before moving your "car".

14 August 2008 at 21:46  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

GrammarBlog Shorts


It's not just you

Pictures

www.flickr.com
photos in Grammar Bloopers More photos in Grammar Bloopers

Powered by FeedBurner

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Add to Technorati Favorites

Join My Community at MyBloglog!

British Blog Directory.

blogarama - the blog directory

Blog Directory - Blogged