GrammarBlog

Monday 26 May 2008

Mail box's

img src="http://www.grammarblog.co.uk/z_images/banners/v2launch.gif" border="0" title="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" alt="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" />

Apostrophe catastrophe, originally uploaded by Clive Murray.

Thanks to Clive Murray for this gem.

Apparently this shop can be found on George Lane in South Woodford, London.

Clive adds, "I cannot tell you the name of the shop as I was too busy vomiting, and only managed to pause just long enough to take this picture."

We understand.

4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely that's valid. They're just abbreviating the word.

"G'day bro, my b'day present t'day came in multiple box's."

27 May 2008 at 18:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That point did cross my mind and I admire your optimistic view. If I were a better and more forgiving man I
might give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not.

We all know it's a mistake and although Jacques Derrida's theories on retrospective application of meaning are valid for most artforms, they don't really apply when discussing an apostrophe on a shop front.

27 May 2008 at 19:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so confused by this kind of thing, because you would think there would be several people involved in the sign creation process.

Nobody along the way—person who commissioned the sign, person who took the order, person who arranged for it to be printed, person who printed it—EVER NOTICED?

Sick!

28 May 2008 at 18:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is something I wonder most days. Seriously.

8 August 2008 at 14:54  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

GrammarBlog Shorts


It's not just you

Pictures

www.flickr.com
photos in Grammar Bloopers More photos in Grammar Bloopers

Powered by FeedBurner

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Add to Technorati Favorites

Join My Community at MyBloglog!

British Blog Directory.

blogarama - the blog directory

Blog Directory - Blogged