GrammarBlog

Monday 6 August 2007

New friends and new enemies.

img src="http://www.grammarblog.co.uk/z_images/banners/v2launch.gif" border="0" title="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" alt="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" />

GrammarBlog has been up and running for a few months now and we're having lots of fun. We are all first time bloggers so we spent a couple of months finding our feet, then Tom implemented the lovely design and we haven't looked back since.


Apparently blogging is about more than simply proselytising to the globe, it's important to create partnerships with like-minded bloggers and improve your influence. Well this all sounded marvellously cult-like and gave me the perfect opportunity to go cruising Google looking for grammatical kicks.

On my travels I found the following outstanding blogs:

Elisabeth writes - Elisabeth is into Haikus, Steven Fry and word origins (I'm sure there is a latin-based term to use in place of 'word origins' and I'm sure Elisabeth will be able to tell me).
The Red Pen - Prolific, knowledgeable and militant - our kind of people! We were proud to be mentioned in the same post as them in SPOGG
Lowercase l - A blog dedicated to people who write in capitals but use lowercase ls. Brilliant and daft in equal measure, this blog does exactly what it says in the tin.

However this week hasn't all been a bed of roses. Whenever I find examples of grammar abuse by the lay-person, although I find it irksome, I can generally laugh it off (honestly) but when grammar atrocities are committed by professional journalists I see red.

Take this choice snippet from an article on automotoportal.com.

Yugo (1981-1991)

It was the lowest-priced new car of the 80's, produced in Yugoslavia and introduced to US market in 1986. by Malcolm Bricklin. It sold very well, but the main reason for that was the price of the car, not it's reliability or efficiency. The list of the problems with this car is quite long. Owners complained basically about everything – engine problems, steering problems, problems with the stereo, problems with the seat belt, problems with the floor. The car could stall and fail to restart without prior indication or warning. Since it was so cheap, could we really expect it to work flawlessly?
I despair, I really do.

And Alex from St George, Utah wrote to us with the following complaint:
Pet peeve: Today I went to Smith's grocery store, and in the frozen foods section I found an appalling abuse of frozen treats. There were signs for frozen pizza, budget dinners and (at this I gasped audibly): "popsicle's." Gag me, please. Between that and their difficult self check-out, I may never go there again.
"Gag me please"? Sorry Alex, you'll have to go to a different kind of website for that sort of request, but thanks for getting in touch. An accompanying photo would have been the icing on the cake, but rest assured your keen-eyed sleuthing has resulted in Smith's Food and Drug Store becoming another addition to... The List

Labels: ,

4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Etymology

:)

8 August 2007 at 01:10  
Blogger Dan said...

Not to be confused with entomology, the use of which would just bug me.

8 August 2007 at 09:31  
Blogger Dan said...

I'd like to add to 'New Friends' 'Never In All My Life' for punctuation errors are at the centre of the current post, and he swears, which I like:

http://neverinallmylife.blogspot.com/

8 August 2007 at 09:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "popsicle's" probably would have gagged me enough. ;-)

9 August 2007 at 14:49  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

GrammarBlog Shorts


It's not just you

Pictures

www.flickr.com
photos in Grammar Bloopers More photos in Grammar Bloopers

Powered by FeedBurner

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Add to Technorati Favorites

Join My Community at MyBloglog!

British Blog Directory.

blogarama - the blog directory

Blog Directory - Blogged