GrammarBlog

Sunday 13 April 2008

Penes to an end

img src="http://www.grammarblog.co.uk/z_images/banners/v2launch.gif" border="0" title="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" alt="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" />

Despite my grammatical obsessions, I'm nevertheless a staunch supporter of the idea that usage must ultimately triumph over dictum. Furthermore, a classical education is no excuse for pretentious, pseudo-Latin mangling.


So it's great to see GrammarBlog paragon AA Gill extol these concepts in his food column this week. I must admit, however, that pluralising penis as 'penes' does have a certain appeal, and I'm seriously contemplating using it in the politest of company.



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:
Blogger aliqot said...

Yes, penes are tempting. Purely linguistically. I mean is tempting, of course.

And I sahll be glad to see syllabi, and fora fall into disuse as well.

14 April 2008 at 17:37  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

GrammarBlog Shorts


It's not just you

Pictures

www.flickr.com
photos in Grammar Bloopers More photos in Grammar Bloopers

Powered by FeedBurner

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Add to Technorati Favorites

Join My Community at MyBloglog!

British Blog Directory.

blogarama - the blog directory

Blog Directory - Blogged