GrammarBlog

Tuesday 24 July 2007

Should of, would of, could of...

img src="http://www.grammarblog.co.uk/z_images/banners/v2launch.gif" border="0" title="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" alt="We've moved to www.grammarblog.co.uk" />

When I get the time, I'll write a proper post on this with references and everything.

But for now I simply want to voice my displeasure at receiving the following sentence in a work email:
I guess that's something we should of considered at the time
Urgh. Writing 'should've' is fine, a bit colloquial but fine. Writing 'should of' however, that's a death sentence. No trial, no jury: just death. That's street justice, GrammarBlog style!

To paraphrase the milky-eyed songstress Gabrielle (where is she now?), "Should of, would of, could of are the last words of a fool". At least they would be if everyone would just agree to give me Ultimate Power.

That's another thing that annoys me - why haven't I been given Ultimate Power yet?

**UPDATE** - I've just remembered it was Beverley Knight who did "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" (we've briefly touched on lyric grammar so I won't get too het-up about the deliberate misspelling - although if I had a cat, it would get kicked tonight). Nevertheless the point about Gabrielle's low profile still stands.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...should have...?

24 July 2007 at 17:51  
Blogger Tom said...

It's scary how many people do this. What makes it much, much worse is that this crime occurs so often in their speech. It's not just a written grammatical slip, it's a total ignorance of tense.
It makes me grind my teeth in rage.

24 July 2007 at 18:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree actually, you're allowed to slip in speech - it's only a temporary braodcast It's more important to be accurate written English.

25 July 2007 at 10:21  
Blogger Gez said...

"...should have...?"

Erm, yes paul. That was the point. Welcome to GrammarBlog by the way, please keep up the contributions and keep an eye out for grammar abuse.

25 July 2007 at 11:10  
Blogger Tom said...

"It's more important to be accurate written English."

Indeed it is.

25 July 2007 at 19:02  
Blogger Gez said...

I think the anonymous poster may have been being all ironic, like.

"braodcast"

26 July 2007 at 10:47  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

GrammarBlog Shorts


It's not just you

Pictures

www.flickr.com
photos in Grammar Bloopers More photos in Grammar Bloopers

Powered by FeedBurner

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Add to Technorati Favorites

Join My Community at MyBloglog!

British Blog Directory.

blogarama - the blog directory

Blog Directory - Blogged